Thanking contributors - how?

Announcements regarding Lipstickfetish.org, plus discussions on site features and support

What's the best way to show appreciation for a post? (Please read the first post before voting.)

Poll ended at Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:51 pm

The Karma feature.
50%
The Thank You feature.
31%
The Topic Rating feature.
11%
I don't post frequently, but I don't think anything is needed.
6%
I post frequently, but I don't think anything is needed.
3%

Total votes : 36

Thanking contributors - how?

Postby Wolfboy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:51 pm

One of the perennial problems we have here at the LFF is the lack of responses to good posts. Although many posters don't mind it, I think everyone likes to know that their contribution is appreciated. That in turn encourages more contributions; a positive feedback loop. However, it does feel a bit lame to just post "Thanks" at the end of a thread. Of course technology solves all of mankind's problems, and this one is no different...

There are a few features we can add to the board to maybe help the situation. I'm sure many of you will be familiar with them from other boards, but I'll outline the ones we're thinking of below.
  • Karma - allows you to award karma, or reputation points, to a fellow user. Everyone's karma score is totalled up and displayed in their profile and the user info panel beside their posts. The karma given isn't tied to a specific post per se, but it allows you to reward those who you feel contribute positively to the forum.
  • Thank you - adds a "Thank you" button beside every post. By clicking it, your name gets added to a list of those who thanked the poster for that post, and displayed underneath (i.e. "The following people thanked Wolfboy for this post..."). The number of thank-yous you receive overall is also tallied and displayed in your profile and user panel, just like karma.
  • Topic rating - simply allows you to rate a topic in marks out of 5. The average rating for a topic is displayed alongside its title in the forum index page.
So in the usual LFF way, we want to let the people who contribute to the forum have their say. Just vote for your favourite option, and post in this thread if you have any other ideas or questions. This isn't a cast-iron guarantee that we'll implement the "winner", but it will be interesting to hear what everyone's opinion is.
Wolfboy
LipstickFetish.Org
LipstickFetish.Org

Thanks given: 77 times
Thanks received: 62 times

Re: Thanking contributors - how?

Postby Lippius » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:22 pm

Good idea. At another forum I frequent, we have both "thanks" and "karma" (which is called "reputation" there, same thing). It promotes a sense of appreciation and bonhomie, and works out quite well.
Lippius
Resident
Resident

Thanks given: 858 times
Thanks received: 324 times

Postby Wolfboy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Well it seems to be a solution looking for a problem at the moment. I guess no-one's too bothered, which suggests we should stick with the status quo.
Wolfboy
LipstickFetish.Org
LipstickFetish.Org

Postby Pseudo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:15 pm

As I wrote this it showed myself and Steve as the only members viewing the Board. There were nine "guests". I think most views on the Board are from non members and they don't really care about thanking anybody, they are just looking to download pics and videos. It doesn't matter to them that taking the trouble to put a file up here involves finding a suitable file and deciding others here would like to see it and then spending time posting it. Uploading a 45 minute video to a file sharer takes two hours plus (60kb per second).
I put a video on here hosted on Rapidshare. It was downloaded over 500 times. I did not get one reply or a thank you until I made a comment about it. As we have just over 2000 members I can assume a large proportion of the downloads were from non-members. Not a good way to encourage people to post here!
I am waiting to see if anyone replies to my latest post, which took me over 3 hours to set up on RS!
Would some kind of Karma system and a restriction on viewing posts for non members encourage more people to actually join? What do others think?

Footnote! Now over 500 views on my recent Ailine post and not one !"£$%^&* reply or "Thank You"!
Pseudo
Lip Obsessive
Lip Obsessive

Thanks given: 287 times
Thanks received: 255 times

Postby Turbo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:53 pm

I agree fully with Pseudo!

On another board where I am a member, you have reply to that post to be able to see it. It is the same board host as this one so it should be possible here as well . When creating a new post you just code it by clicking "hide". Easy and people who are not members can not get access to it.

I have approx 500 movies which I started to upload in December. I uploaded 5 of them to RS but did not get any replys so I stopped. As Pseudo said, it takes a lot of time to put these up and I can't be bothered to do it if no one cares.

Another suggestion is to start a mailinglist with the links to the ones signing up to it, but it should not be necessary.

Have a great weekend!
Turbo
Participant
Participant

Thanks given: 73 times
Thanks received: 108 times

Postby Wolfboy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:02 pm

I suspect that if we made registration mandatory to view topics, then 99.9% of the lurkers would just register and still not post. I think there's more chance of people simply clicking a thanks or karma button than actually posting "Great pics, thanks!" or whatever. Maybe a compromise would be to force registration and add a karma/thanks system.

Pseudo/Turbo - as long time contributors, would seeing thanks or karma for a post you made be sufficient feedback/encouragement?
Wolfboy
LipstickFetish.Org
LipstickFetish.Org

Postby bule84 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:01 pm

At least a thanks button would let the OP have feel that someone enjoys what is posted. I dig around in the makeup blogs and post what I think are some great pics sometimes. It is a lot quicker to just save the pics and not the links, but I like to share with others. But when you spend the time to do it you would like to know if people enjoy them or not. If you know people enjoy them you dont mind taking the time to do it. But with little to no feedback, you have no idea if many people enjoy them.

I am not looking for praise, I just want to know if what I posted is enjoyed by others. We all have different tastes, for example, I think smoking is one of the grossest, nastiest things a person can do. But others like it. Nothing wrong with either view, just different strokes for different folks. Some sort of feedback lets the OP know if he should continue or not
bule84
Resident
Resident

Thanks given: 139 times
Thanks received: 147 times

Postby Turbo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Bule84, as you say, the replys are not a way to get praise, it is more a way of seeing that what I do is worth it. If no one is interested, why post?

Wolfboy, a thanks or Karma button is enough for me, but usually you have to be registered to be able to click it so then it will lose its meaning.
Turbo
Participant
Participant

Thanks given: 73 times
Thanks received: 108 times

Postby Pseudo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:10 pm

I totally agree with Bule84 and Turbo. It is the fact your efforts have been acknowledged in some way that makes a difference. If we wanted to make a profit out of our posts we would start a pay site!

Some of my posts have come from sites I have paid to join, anyway.
Just a little something to say "Thanks for taking the trouble!" would be fine!

It looks like Karma is in the lead. It might be a good idea to go withthat! It is surprising how a bit of appreciation can encourage people!
Pseudo
Lip Obsessive
Lip Obsessive

Postby Pseudo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:21 pm

Further: On other boards you can restrict your posts, so that only people with so many posts to the board, or so many Karma points can see them. This makes people contribute more. They have to post to get the Karma, Can it work that way here?
Pseudo
Lip Obsessive
Lip Obsessive

Postby Wolfboy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:18 am

Thanks for your input guys. I've never liked the idea of restricting access to the boards in any way, but if everyone lurks so there's no feedback for those that do post then the content dries up and it doesn't do anyone any good. I'm not fond of the "x many posts"-type solutions because things can tend to get a bit cliquey, but I suppose with a relatively small amount of contributors then we are anyway! I'll look into it and see what's possible.

There are no changes imminent anyway, so any more suggestions or opinions are more than welcome.
Wolfboy
LipstickFetish.Org
LipstickFetish.Org

Postby kawaninja » Tue May 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Turbo wrote:Bule84, as you say, the replys are not a way to get praise, it is more a way of seeing that what I do is worth it. If no one is interested, why post?

Wolfboy, a thanks or Karma button is enough for me, but usually you have to be registered to be able to click it so then it will lose its meaning.

Agree.... Everytime when i think to post something i wonder why i should do that because i believe it interests noone... But mostly i think.. YOU MUST SEE THAT...!!!

I would say only registered members should be allowed to see vids. We all know who our members are and that most of them post good things. The lurkers only come, load and go...
kawaninja
Patron
Patron

Thanks given: 122 times
Thanks received: 39 times

Next

Return to Announcements and Site Support